We're proud to share new featured charity to be the Childhelp Speak Up Be Safe program. Thank you to our Instagram fan Taryn for nominating this worthy cause!
They will receive 10% of net proceeds for every light bulb sold through September 30th, 2018 to help children and teens learn the skills to prevent or interrupt cycles of neglect, bullying, and child abuse.
- A report of child abuse is made every ten seconds. That is more than 3.6 million referrals involving more than 6.6 million children.
- 5 children die every day from child abuse and neglect in the US, one of the worst records among industrialized nations.
- More than 70% of the children who died as a result of child abuse or neglect were two years of age or younger.
- Children who experience child abuse & neglect are about 9 times more likely to become involved in criminal activity.
- 80% of 21-year-olds who reported childhood abuse met the criteria for at least one psychological disorder.
- Individuals with 6+ adverse childhood experiences had an average life expectancy two decades shorter than those who reported none.
- 30% of abused and neglected children will later abuse children, continuing this horrible cycle.
Childhelp believes the key to preventing child abuse is education and awareness, which is exactly what their Speak Up Be Safe prevention program provides.
Speak Up Be Safe uses an ecological approach to prevention education by providing materials to engage parents and caregivers, teachers, school administrators, and community stakeholders. It is research-based, evidence informed and developmentally appropriate curriculum for Pre-Kindergarten through 12th grade.
In addition to increasing children’s ability to recognize unsafe situations or abusive behaviors and building resistance skills, lessons focus on helping children build a responsive safety network with peers and adults that the child identifies as safe.
This program averages a 1-2% impact rate, meaning children found the courage to disclose abuse to someone at the school within the few days or weeks after a Childhelp Speak Up Be Safe lesson.
National Child Abuse Hotline: 1-800-4-A-CHILD or 1-800-422-4453