We're proud to share our second featured charity to be the Jeremiah Program
They will receive 10% of net proceeds for every light bulb sold through June 30th, 2018 to help single mothers and their children emerge from poverty.
Single mothers with dependent children have the highest rate of poverty across all demographic groups at 35.6%.
- 80% of single-parent families are headed by women
- Only one third receive child support from the father
- Wage disparities for women range from 56-79¢ for every $1 a man makes
- Median income single mother is $ 35,400
- 50% spend on housing
- 33% spent on childcare
- 1 in 3 single mother families were “food insecure”
- Many mothers have no access to paid leave and cannot miss a paycheck
Source: Single Mother Guide 2017
Jeremiah Program offers one of the nation’s most successful strategies for transforming families from poverty to prosperity two generations at a time. They prepare determined single mothers to excel in the workforce, readies their children to succeed in school, and reduces generational dependence on public assistance.
Five core pillars, supported by personalized coaching, form their holistic, two-generation model.
- Support for a Career-Track, College Education
- Quality Early Childhood Education
- Safe & Affordable Housing
- Empowerment & Life Skills Training
- Supportive Community
They have high expectations for determined young women to further their education and to prepare their children for school success. The program provides the opportunities and tools; the young mothers, most of whom come from challenging backgrounds and life situations, have to do the work.
This combination of high expectations and holistic support works.
- The average annual income of graduates is $47,609
- 88% of children are performing above age-appropriate developmental benchmarks
- 77% of graduates from past five years have significantly decreased reliance on public assistance
Every $1 invested in a Jeremiah family can return up to $4 to society through first-generation benefits, per a recent study
Based in our own hometown of Minneapolis, Jeremiah Program is expanding with campuses in Minneapolis, St. Paul, Austin, Fargo. In addition, they are working with groups in Boston, Rochester (MN), Brownsville (NY) and Charlottsville.
- Volunteer if you live in areas they operate, or want to bring JP to your area
- Donate Funds
- Share JP with a single mother in need