The idea of a wood patterned light bulb was the design that got my husband Rob truly excited about my crazy idea to invent a creative alternative to the Edison bulb. As soon as he pitched it, I knew the natural beauty of wood grain on a working light bulb would be an interesting and timeless design element.
In fact, we decided it would be the first design we’d try to make. After months of experimenting in our garage after the kids went to bed, we had our first promising prototype. We celebrated and talked about starting our own company in the beautiful bonfire type glow of the Mahogany light bulb.
We later discovered an actual carved pine wood light bulb by Japanese designer named Ryosuke Fukusada that sold for $3,200 back in 2009. It was the first designer light bulb we came across and gave us confidence that we were on to something with our own printed light bulb concept. It’s certainly one of our favorites – and the best seller in our hometown of Minneapolis, MN.
The Mahogany light bulb delivers on the wow factor.
It truly resembles wood and often makes people do a double take. The rich brown shade is bold, yet neutral, so it can work in a variety of design styles from farm house to modern.
Mahogany looks great when paired with black, brass, steel and colored fixtures. If you choose a fixture with a wood element it can be hard to match the color exactly, so I like to have a visual separation.
It looks good with various wall colors, but I especially love light and modern neutrals or medium to dark shades of green, gray or black for maximum impact.
This bulb is ideal for accent lighting – in a floor lamp next to your favorite reading chair, in pendants over your dining table or next to your bed for nightly wind down time. Learn about how to layer lighting here.
Here are 5 to ways to style it with light fixtures to inspire your search:
Take everything you learned from Fixer Upper and pair it with classic fixtures, pretty greenery and meaningful objects that tell your story.
Pair it with a sleek black or gray fixture for a modern and cool vibe for any space including your work space, entry way or home bar.
1. One Forty Three Ogden Swing Lamp // 2. Hennepin Made Parallel Pendant // 3. Shades of Light Industrial Pendant // 4. CB2 Utility Pendant // 5. Relamp Touch Table Lamp (coming soon) // 6. CB2 Arc Table Lamp
Channel your own cabin in the woods with gunmetal and wood details in your favorite spots for entertaining and relaxing.
1. Shades of Light Rustic Chandelier // 2. Woodwaves Pendant // 3. Shades of Light Gathered Chandelier // 4. Woodwaves Wire Accent Lamp // 4. Peared Creation Industrial Sconce // 5. Bellacor Brinley Olde Bronze Sconce
4. VINTAGE INSPIRED
Pair our statement bulb with an equally cool statement table lamp with a cloche glass cover or hand-crafted vintage details.
Primary colors including green, orange and blue also look great with our Mahogany bulb and can add a playful and modern element to your space.
1. Rejuvenation Carson Pendant // 2. School House Electric Ion C-Series Lamp // 3. Dutton Brown Hemi Flushmount // 4. One Forty Three Tripod Desk Lamp // 5. West Elm Sculptural Metal Pendant // 6. Color Cord Metal Plug-In
As you hunt for the perfect fixture to pair with our Mahogany bulb be sure to look for the following:
- Standard E26 medium screw base (note: retailers may show various shapes that work with this size)
- Enough space for the bulb which is 2.55" diameter x 5.40" height
- Opt for clear glass shades over textured glass shades
- An LED dimmer, if applicable
P.S. I have to include one of my favorites even though it didn't fit the design stories I covered. Love this one from Target!