Snack Container for Coco-Chip Quinoa Energy Bites
When was the last time you ate a snack? Chances are it was probably sometime today. Everyone loves snack foods, but what happens to the package after you satisfy your hunger? Sadly, most packaging is not recyclable and ends up in the trash. The solution? Make your own snacks at home! Store your snacks in a washable container, or a recycled RELAMP tube, and you are helping the environment one small step at a time.
Energy bites are a versatile snack that can easily be customized to meet various dietary needs. In this recipe, quinoa flakes, which are whole quinoa seeds that have been flattened into flakes, are used in place of oats. They are a great alternative for those who are gluten free. You can find them in natural food stores or the natural food aisle of your local grocery store. Can’t find them or want a cheaper alternative? Just use quick oats. Allergic to almonds? Use any nut or seed butter of choice.
In less than 10 minutes, you can make a simple snack with healthy fats and fiber to keep you full until your next meal. The bites freeze well too so save the leftovers for whenever hunger strikes!
Coco-Chip Quinoa Energy Bites
- 1 cup quinoa flakes (I used Ancient Harvest brand)
- ½ cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
- ½ cup chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life brand)
- 1/3 cup honey
- ½ cup almond butter
1. In a medium-size bowl, add the dry ingredients: quinoa flakes, shredded coconut, and chocolate chips. Stir.
2. In a small bowl, stir together the honey and almond butter.
3. Pour the wet ingredients mixture over the dry ingredients.
4. Begin stirring with a spoon (eventually you will need to use your hands to finish mixing). When well combined, roll the mixture into balls.
5. While the balls set, decorate your RELAMP container with your favorite wrapping paper and and add them in!
Find more recipes at www.shannonschaack.com